Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Organic Veggies... not this year :(

By now, it should be fairly obvious that I have little to no clue what I'm doing in the veggie garden. I'm giving it my best shot, however and this blog is a great way for me to document the successes and failures. For me this garden serves many purposes. It's not just about the fresh produce for my family, it's also an excuse to spend time outdoors, great exercise, and an opportunity to challenge myself. One of the goals that I initially set was to grow completely organic vegetables. Due to the fact that I didn't properly prep my soil with compost, I've had to resort to, *gasp*, using Miracle Grow. It really hurts to admit that, almost as much as it hurt to purchase and apply it. After two applications of it, some areas of my garden still aren't growing quite as fast as they should be ,but overall the plants do look healthier. I started my compost heap at the back of the field so maybe next year I can do it without the chemical fertilizers. The compost pile consists of coffee grounds, eggshells, fruit and veggie peels, and  yard debris such as leaves and grass clippings. I do have some friends that are appalled by my decision to use the dreaded Miracle Grow, or MG, as I now call it. In the grand scheme of things, I feel that a little fertilizer is still 10 times better than most commercially grown vegetables that have been shipped across the country or even from other ones. I'm looking into other methods of fertilizing, but being a novice gardener who had never even heard the term "side-dressing" until a couple of months ago, I'm going to try to keep it simple...for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment